Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Progress, Not Perfection

I'm learning many life lessons all at once. Which is good, I guess. The most important one is coming from my newest quest to finish a class by book called "The Artist's Way". This is a book written by a woman who teaches people how to unlock their creative genius. So far, I'm very hooked, but already it's teaching me a lot about myself. One thing that stuck out to me in this current week's lesson is that we should strive for progress, not perfection.

So many times I've let my lack of what I think I should be hold me back. Especially in my job. I am so hard on myself when it comes to doing new things in my ministry. I hold the program back from so many things that would be fantastic for my kids if I would stop being so afraid of failing. I think to myself so often, I wouldn't be able to get kids there if I even tried, or that won't work, or that's too much work to do, or no one will help me even if I asked.

Of course, all these things are so far from the truth, and I continue to believe them. So, my challenge to myself is to step up and push past the fear factor. To actually give us all the opportunity to grow continually in our walk with Christ. To let go of what I think I can't do and allow myself to surprise myself.

Which reminds me, we have a retreat coming up this weekend. Please pray that it goes well and that I can overcome the nerves of hosting something that is seemingly out of my league. Because even if things don't go as smoothly as I want them to, I am progressing in the ministry and doing something I haven't done before. And that is a victory in and of itself!

1 comment:

  1. yes, progress not perfection.

    i love this book. isn't it amazing how many emotions and "aha!" moments you have in the beginning? and it's only the first chapter!

    ReplyDelete